Symbol of German industrialization
With its 269 rooms and 8,100 sqm usable floor space, situated within 28 ha of park, the Villa Hügel is far more than merely the residence of an entrepreneur – it is a symbol of German industrialization. The Villa Hügel, erected between 1870 and 1873 by Alfred Krupp (1812-1887), was intended as a residence and refuge for Krupp and his family. After the death of his father Friedrich Krupp (1778-1826) he took over responsibility for the firm at the age of 14 and turned it into one of the most important industrial companies in the 19th century. The Villa Hügel provided the stately frame for representation, receptions and festivities. Emperors and kings, international businessmen, politicians and heads of state visited the Villa Hügel. Today the entire estate is owned by the Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach-Stiftung.
The Krupp Historical Exhibition in the Kleines Haus (Small House) at Villa Hügel covers several subjects: On the ground floor, the exhibition presents the Krupp family and the Villa Hügel buildings and park. Two rooms are dedicated to the history and work of the Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach-Stiftung. The exhibits on the upper floor trace the history of the Krupp Company since its beginnings more than 200 years ago. In 2005/06 the Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach-Stiftung renovated the Small House at Villa Hügel in the line with the regulations for historic buildings. The aim was to preserve the building’s historical substance and restore its original villa character. The redesigned Historical Exhibition opened in 2007.
Sechs Zeilen Text werden direkt angezeigt, weitere Inhalte werden mit "Mehr" angezeigt
In this area six lines will be visible initially. The rest will be available by clicking "More"
Interactive tours and virtual exhibitions
Download the new app of freshmuseum
Free for your iPhone or Android smartphone